The Teachings of Christ from the *Covenant in Deuteronomy - Part 1
When we refer to the teachings of Christ we are referring to the direct teachings that Christ Himself spoke, as well as His teachings reflected by those He taught - that is, His Disciples.
Most Bibles have references in their margins, referring to Christ's teachings, that can be tracked back, in most cases, to the Book of Deuteronomy.
The following is Part 1 of a three part series of charts, with references from the *Covenant in Deuteronomy with corresponding teachings of Christ.
Note: this is not a comprehensive list and is being continually updated. (all references from the RSV Bible unless otherwise stated)
*(For more information on the Covenant in Deuteronomy please go to our main study - Welcome to our Study - Start Here)
Part 1: The Ten Commandments:
Deut 5:7-21 The Ten Commandments
- You shall have no other gods before me. -
- Matt 4:10 Matthew writes: ‘Then Jesus said to him, "Begone, Satan! for it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.”’ Also Luke 4:8
- Christ teaches: Matt 6:9 ‘Pray then like this: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.’
- You shall not make for yourself a graven image (Idols), or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; ...
- 1 Cor 6:9, Paul teaches: ‘Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? ... Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers ... none of these will inherit the kingdom of God’.
- 1 John 5:21 ‘Little children, keep yourselves from idols.’
- You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
- Col 3:8, Paul teaches: ‘But now you must get rid of all such things - anger, wrath, malice, slander (blasphemy KJV), and abusive language from your mouth.’ (see also Rom 8:7)
- Observe the sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, or your manservant, or your maidservant, or your ox, or your ass, or any of your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates, that your manservant and your maidservant may rest as well as you.
- Acts 13:14 ‘... And on the Sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down... v16: So Paul stood up and with a gesture began to speak: ...’
- Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God commanded you; that your days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with you, in the land which the LORD your God gives you.
- Ephes 6:1-2, Paul teaches: ‘Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honour your father and mother - this is the first commandment with a promise;’
- You shall not kill (murder).
- Rom 1:29, Paul writes: ‘They were filled with every kind of wickedness, ... Full of envy, murder, strife, deceit ...’
- Jesus teaches in Matt 5:21-22 "You have heard that it was said to the men of old, 'You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.' But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be liable to the hell of fire.
- Neither shall you commit adultery.
- Gal 5:19, Paul teaches: ‘Now the works of the flesh are obvious: fornication (adultery KJV), impurity, licentiousness, idolatry ... ‘
- Jesus teaches: Matt 5:27-28 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.' But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
- Neither shall you steal.
- Rom 13:9, Paul writes: ‘The commandments, ‘You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; (bear false witness KJV), You shall not covert, ...’
- Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbour.
- Again - Rom 13:9 ‘The commandments, ‘You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; (bear false witness KJV), You shall not covert, ...’
- Neither shall you covet your neighbor's wife; and you shall not desire your neighbor's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbor's.'
- And again - Rom 13:9 ‘The commandments, ‘You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; (bear false witness KJV), You shall not covert, ...’